This station assesses your knowledge of common endocrine conditions in surgery.
• The MRCS syllabus requires working knowledge of thyroid, parathyroid, and adrenal gland disease.
• The exam style is often in the form of patient scenario combined with focussed questions on pathology.
• Thyroid: lumps evaluated with triple assessment (history/examination, imaging, tissue sample), most common cancer is papillary carcinoma.
• Parathyroid: hyperparathyroid disease caused by adenoma (primary) or renal disease.
• Adrenal: a number of benign and malignant tumours can develop here, which can be functionally active (i.e. secreting hormone) or inactive.